[mythtv] XvMC studdering

Geoffrey Kruse gkruse at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 13:19:25 UTC 2006

On Jan 17, 2006, at 7:26 AM, Dave Just wrote:

> Could you (or anyone else who has managed to get it working well)
> share the settings that you use: inc extra audio buffer, aggressive
> sound card buffering and esp the RingBuffer size compared with RAM on
> the machine?  I'm still finding it hard to get completely smooth
> playback on my system (XP 1900, GeForce MX 440, FC4/2.6.14, NV 7676).
>
> Thanks,

I have XvMC working very smoothly on a celeron 450 with 192mb of
ram.  This is with an agp nvidia 5200.  The setting that makes the
biggest difference is to turn on chromakey osd.  This frees up an
additional buffer on the card for video decoding that was previously
used for osd.  There is not yet a setting in the setup page for
mythfrontend, however the setting can be enabled with an entry in the
database.  Search the -dev list to find the setting as I can't
remember what it is exactly.  Also, I have found that OpenGL vsync
actually causes more stuttering and adds extra processor load.   I
run with OpenGL vsync off.

Geoff