[mythtv] osx-packager.pl breaks after install of fink

Nigel Pearson nigel at ind.tansu.com.au
Tue Jan 17 06:46:02 UTC 2006

> In fact, I am positive there is a pkgconfig on my system.  But I
> shouldn't have -- and don't want -- to remove it to get this to work.

	Fair enough. When you said no Fink installed packages,
I assumed no pkgconfig binary or databases.

>> $ENV{'PKG_CONFIG_PATH'} = "$PREFIX/lib/pkgconfig";
>>
>> since we want to force _only_ the packager-generated
>> third party stuff.
>
> I don't know; it seems to me to force inflexibility.
> The packager may not need to install everything
> because it knows some things are already on the system.

	Yes, but the only way pre-installed things can be
currently located is ${PATH} (which configure uses).
The packaging script overrides the existing PATH so that
we have a well controlled building/packaging environment-
it makes sure we know what we are getting:

$ENV{'PATH'} = "$PREFIX/bin:/sw/bin:/bin:/usr/bin:$svnpath";
$ENV{'DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH'} = "$PREFIX/lib";
$ENV{'LD_LIBRARY_PATH'} = "/usr/local/lib";
$ENV{'LDFLAGS'} = "-Z -F/System/Library/Frameworks -L/usr/lib
-L$PREFIX/lib";

	We don't keep anything from the existing ${PATH},
so for consistency I think we should do likewise with
${PKG_CONFIG_PATH}

	Note that I have never been happy about having /sw/bin
and /usr/local/lib in there. This seems to force a potential
mix of Fink and non-Fink stuff ?

> Or someone might want to use -thirdskip and trash one of
> the downloaded packages so the packager finds what's
> already installed in the system.

	Sure. Expert builders will want to do this,
and we should think about how to make this easier.
I just think the default script should build the
software as safely as possible.

>> I think this will also fix the original problem in #970 ?
>
> I don't know what #970 refers to.

	Sorry, notation for Trac ticket.

http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/970

--
Nigel Pearson, nigel at ind.tansu.com.au|"Its not easy having a good time
Telstra Dev. Lab, Sydney, Australia  | ...