[mythtv] Compiling with -Os is better than -O3

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 03:55:47 UTC 2006

Is there an easy way to configure Myth such that it builds with -Os
instead of -O3?  I have been editing the configure script before
running it, but was wondering if there is a better way.

My frontend machine has a Intel Northwood 3.2GHz HT P4 and 512MB of
RAM.  With this configuration, I have found that compiling myth with
-Os is better than -O3.

For the last couple of weeks, I have had intermittent stuttering with
1080i material.

At first, I tried figuring out which version of Myth caused the
problem, but I discovered that it was not a problem with the Myth
source.  I went back and re-compiled the last version which did not
exhibit the stuttering, only to find that it now stuttered as well.

I then tried to figure out what else could have changed on my machine,
but could not come up with anything conclusive.

Finally, out of shear desperation, I decided to try compiling with -Os
instead of -O3.  Doing so gave me back a stutter free machine.

This does not solve the stuttering problem when playing faster than
1.2x speed, but I can live with that.

John