[mythtv] Need help diagnosing slow XvMC problem

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Mon Jan 16 15:36:33 UTC 2006

Jerry Rubinow wrote:
> On 1/14/06, Jerry Rubinow <jerrymr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I finally made some progress.  I was looking at settings on other
> pages, and noticed Ringbuffer, which I probably should have tried
> earlier but I didn't think of it.  So I doubled the ringbuffer size
> from the default and it started playing back perfectly with XvMC!  If
> I switch to libmpeg2, it plays back in realtime, but the motion isn't
> smooth and sound is choppy.

Interesting, and not what I would have thought of as a solution. I know
on my system, if I DON'T select some kind of de-interlacing, I get the
problems you describe, so I always use some kind of de-interlacing, even
though I shouldn't need it. You could try that and see what happens.
YMMV though.
> Where does the ringbuffer live - frontend or backend?  What is a

Backend.

Tom