[mythtv] Channel handling

jafa hdtv at silicondust.com
Sun Jan 15 21:01:44 UTC 2006

Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> *This message was transferred with a trial version of CommuniGate(r) Pro*
> On Sun, 2006-01-15 at 11:32 -0800, jafa wrote:
>
>> Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
>>
>>> I would recommend keeping the input stuff in there, this allows for
>>> easier refactoring of channel classes later on. And if at some point
>>> multiple inputs are added to a future rev of the hardware you won't
>>> have to rewrite everything (Say you want to support OTA and Cable
>>> with the same device without the user needing to change the wiring).
>>>

>> Hi Daniel,
>>
>> Each tuner on the box has one physical input but can demodulate 8VSB,
>> 64QAM, and 256QAM.
>>
>> Would it be better to consider it to have three inputs or to have one
>> input with three different tv modes?
>>

> One input. I'm assuming you could have an 8-vsb channel on 21, and a
> QAM-256 channel on 120, so if you had digital cable that used only
> channels above 83, you could combine an antenna and cable inputs with
> a lowpass and highpass filter, resp. The modulation of each channel
> is specified in the dtv_multiplex table so each channel can have it's
> own modulation within the same source.
>
> So each tuner has it's own physical input? (i.e. unlike a PVR-500)

Yes - two tuners, two separate inputs. You can put one tuner in 8VSB
mode on one channel and the other in 256QAM mode on a different channel.

The current implementation is to create two devices for MythTV - one for
each tuner. The two devices don't interact with each other so there is
no need to cross-link in software. This approach also allows you to use
one tuner for a MythTV box and the other for something else.
> Can they issue DiSEqC commands?

No.