[mythtv] Probelms compiling newest SVN

Dag Nygren dag at newtech.fi
Sun Jan 15 10:19:44 UTC 2006

> /usr/bin/ld: BFD 2.16.91.0.2 20050720 assertion fail elflink.c:6208
> /usr/bin/ld: mythuitest: hidden symbol `__fini_array_end' in mythuitest is
> referenced by DSO
> /usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Nonrepresentable section on output
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> make[2]: *** [mythuitest] Error 1
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/net/backup/var/sources/vision/Mythtv-CVS/mythtv/pr
> ograms/mythuitest'
> make[1]: *** [sub-mythuitest] Error 2
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/net/backup/var/sources/vision/Mythtv-CVS/mythtv/pr
> ograms'
> make: *** [sub-programs] Error 2
>
> I have successfully compiled SVN before but just recently
> updated my system to Mandriva 2006 so could well be the problem.
>
> Any hints on where to start looking greatly appreciated.

Answering this myself as I found one solution, just in case someone
else have the same problem:

Downgrading the Mandriva binutils RPM from
2.16.91 to the old 2.15.92 from Mandriva 2005 made mythui link.

I wonder if there is something wrong in the Myth code though
and it is just revealed by a more clever/picky linker ??

Dag