[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r8574 - in

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Thu Jan 12 16:58:01 UTC 2006

> > Add a "Preserve Aspect Ratio" option to the Transcoding recording

> This change looks interesting, but I'm not quite sure exactly how it's
> intended to be used, but maybe that's because of how I use
> transcoding?

> And I don't see any weirdness in the aspect ratio of the transcoded
> recordings ...

The purpose of the patch is to maintain the same physical aspect ratio
of the newly transcoded file, the displayed aspect ratio has been
correct for quite some time since I modified the code to allow nuppel
files with other than 1.33 aspect ratios.

Say I have a PVR-250 that I record at 720x480 and an air2pc card
recording HDTV.  As a preference, I just setup everything to use the
autodetect transcoder, not the high/medium/low quality ones.
So, I set the autodetect transcoding profile to 640 width and turn
on "preserve aspect ratio".  Now, when I transcode one of the 720x480
recordings, the displayed aspect ratio stays 4:3 as normal, and the
physical size of the transcoded file is 640x426 which preserves the
file aspect ratio of 3:2 so I'm scaling down approximately 11% in each
direction (height and width).  Now, I transcode a 1920x1080 HDTV
recording using the same profile (since I have a slow frontend that
maxes out playing around 640xSomething).  The new transcoded file keeps
the original displayed aspect ratio of 16:9 (which in this case also happens
to be the physical aspect ratio) and the physical size becomes
640x360 so we scaled down by about 33% in each direction.

--
Chris