[mythtv] MythTV Usability Report

Buzz buzz at oska.com
Mon Jan 9 05:21:39 UTC 2006

Qualitative Vs Quantitative.

Qualitative
-----------
Jono's usability report was a qualitative analysis.  He was analysing the
"quality" of his experience (mostly with the UI), and suggesting approaches
to improve that experience.  Qualitative analysis is frequently
experimental/statistical, and no single case on it's own can hold much
merit, apart from being socially indicitave of the "normal" users responses,
for some value of "normal".  To get a truly meaningful qualitative analysis
requires a much bigger dataset that can be statisitically analysed.
Surveys are the commonest method of getting such data.  Said survey should
also perport to determine a value for "normal".   Eg:
'developer','schmo','grade 10 intelligence level', etc.

Each of the people who has responded to Jono's report has subconsciously
asked a question already: "is jono's quality of experience indicitive of my
experience?"... Or more easily, "do I agree with Jono?"  The questions you
should actually be asking are:

1) what is the "normal" user set? (or plurally, what "sets")?
2) is Jono's experience indicitative of the "normal" user set?, or maybe the
"normal2" set, or the "normal3" set, or set "X"?
3) which set do I fit in?
4) is my experience in set "X" indicitative of others in set "X"?
5) what can be done to improve the experience/s of users generally?
(normally with regard to a specific set)
6) what set is the biggest?
7) for most quality improvement/impact, which set should be targeted?
(usually the biggest, statistically).

Quantitative
------------
Programmers like numbers, order, systems.  Quantitative analysis is those
numbers, and iterpretation of those numbers.   Example, you want to make the
UI more "usable", this is your "feature".  "usable" is (for example only)
equated to "minimising number of required key presses on remote" and/or
"minimising complexity of key-press-order".  Qualitative analysis would then
generate a log of keypresses for users  (in controlled circumstances, or at
least in controlled sets of users), and analyse these.  Other example
targets might include "try to get 90% of the systems features used available
within 3 key presses", or might include "try to maximise special remote key
usage, and minimise navigation(up,down,left,right) key usage",  etc.
Decide what is important beforehand for your "feature", and try to define
that quantitatively.  I say "try", it can be quite difficult to be sure
you've go the definition correct.   The definition may be different for
different sets of users.

--------------

Has anyone EVER done any explicit quantitative or qualitative ananysis of
the Myth UI?  I doubt it.

We all subconsciously do 'implicit' analysis, based on our interpretation of
other users experiences (and our own), and attempt to build a set of
qualitative experiences mentally and validate those by 'comparing notes'
with others: SAYS: "do you like the coffee?" THINKS: "I like the coffee."
HEARS: "yes, the coffee is nice." IMPLYS: "the coffee here must be good".
SO, is the coffee good? Who can really say.?<grin>

I make no suggestions/answers here, just food for though.  If you want my
opinion, ask.

David Bussesnchutt(aka Buzz).
(BSc in Comp Sci, AI, UI Design, Statistical/Experimental Psychology).