[mythtv] MythTV Usability Report

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 04:02:58 UTC 2006

On 1/9/06, Kevin Kuphal <kuphal at dls.net> wrote:
> I agree and I think he should take the time to make a similar evaluation
> of the latest code rather than spending time on things that have already
> been addressed

Unfortunately most people are not able to run a development version of
MythTV. They only have one system with capture cards and that system
must be as stable as possible as it is essentially a production
system.

Unless you want to ignore all feedback from non-developers you've got
to accept that most users will be running the latest stable release
and not the latest SVN code. There's going to be a certain number of
resolved issues reported. That's the nature of the beast.

> Part of the point of open source is exactly "if you don't like it,
> change it".  Try to do that with you Tivo.  The point being made is that
> while the out of the box Myth menus or keybindings may not work for you,
> it is entirely in *your* hands to make them work better because you have
> the power to do it.

That's a poor excuse for not addressing problems in the default setup.

Steve