[mythtv] Netowrked ATSC Tuner

jafa hdtv at silicondust.com
Sun Jan 8 20:10:38 UTC 2006

Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-01-08 at 10:52 -0800, jafa wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I am involved in a networked ATSC tuner (dual tuners, 100baseTX network).
>>
>> The video stream is UDP based and it has a TCP control channel. Two
>> machines can independently control the two tuners if desired.
>>
> This is an embedded device, along the lines of the DBOX2 ?

It is an embedded device.

I just checked out the trunk and found the DBOX2 code - I will take a
deeper look at how the code works - Thanks.

>> I have just recently started playing with MythTV and I would like to add
>> MythTV support.
>>
>> One approach could be to use a user-space app to receive the TS and
>> create a loopback driver so it looks like a normal video capture device.
>>
>> Another approach would be to add support directly to MythTV. This would
>> avoid looping through the kernel and would be easier for end-users.
>>

> Adding it directly to MythTV would probably be much easier, especially
> with respect to handling errors properly.
>
> The advantage of writing a driver would be that any DVB application
> could theoretically use the device and MythTV wouldn't need any
> modification. This was the rationale for the USB DVB drivers; in that
> case it turned out to be a nightmare to support in MythTV and actually
> requires it's own code path for tuning anyway...
>
> -- Daniel
Hmmm.... maybe direct MythTV support is the way to go. Much as I would
like it to work with any application, clean and simple is usually better.

Time to try compiling trunk MythTV I guess :-)

Nick