[mythtv] Netowrked ATSC Tuner

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Sun Jan 8 19:50:06 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-08 at 10:52 -0800, jafa wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I am involved in a networked ATSC tuner (dual tuners, 100baseTX network).
>
> The video stream is UDP based and it has a TCP control channel. Two
> machines can independently control the two tuners if desired.
This is an embedded device, along the lines of the DBOX2 ?

> I have just recently started playing with MythTV and I would like to add
> MythTV support.
>
> One approach could be to use a user-space app to receive the TS and
> create a loopback driver so it looks like a normal video capture device.
>
> Another approach would be to add support directly to MythTV. This would
> avoid looping through the kernel and would be easier for end-users.

Adding it directly to MythTV would probably be much easier, especially
with respect to handling errors properly.

The advantage of writing a driver would be that any DVB application
could theoretically use the device and MythTV wouldn't need any
modification. This was the rationale for the USB DVB drivers; in that
case it turned out to be a nightmare to support in MythTV and actually
requires it's own code path for tuning anyway...

-- Daniel