[mythtv] MythMusic GUI changes

Colin Guthrie mythtv at colin.guthr.ie
Tue Jan 3 14:01:03 UTC 2006

Paul Volkaerts wrote:
> I'm not sure that fixes many of the usability problems by itself; and
> I personally don't like losing large areas of screen real-estate in
> the way the playback-tree does. I actually think the MythMusic look
> and feel is quite good but there were a few problems not fixed by a
> new tree. You need several views: active playlist, library by artist,
> library by genre, playlists, and you need a search capability. And
> you need to flick between these views easily.
>
> So really the problem is you need a lot of trees (or one BIG one). If
> this is implemented as one tree, you are endlessly going left and
> right as per today. So I implemented as separate trees that you can
> cycle through using left/right. It sounds like a small point but it
> massively reduces keystrokes. To go from the whats-playing view to
> the artist list you hit "right" instead of "left, up, right".
>
> I threw some screenshots onto a server as it helps to explain ...

I think your changes are looking very promising... I've been totally out
of Mythhacking for a long time due to work commitments, so can't really
comment more thoroughly than that, but I do like the look of what you
have done.

One comment about the keyboard (aside from Stuart suggesting that SVN
already has a keyboard...), does this support the mobile phone type
texting interface that already exists in some myth input text boxes?
This would no doubt be quicker than a visual keyboard for "power" users
(and those with letters next to the numbers on their remote control
and/or txt addicts)?

Col.