[mythtv] Horizontal 'seam' on HD (SVN 8343)

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Mon Jan 2 01:08:09 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-01 at 16:27 -0600, Kirby Bakken wrote:
> When watching HD (either live or prerecorded), I occasinally see a
> horizontal 'seam' .  Its at about the '45%' (from the bottom up) point,
> and kind of zig-zags up to the 50% point, and then goes away.  This
> happens either with or with out XvMc (I'm running an onboard MB Nvidia
> 6200 vidao adapter, feeding my Panasonic TH-42PWD5 (852x480).  I'm NOT
> running GL sync...  my cpu (again with or without XvMc) is so overtaxed
> that I get prebuffering pauses.....  Plus, the horizontal 'seam' doesn't
> go away.
If OpenGL VSync doesn't make the seam go away there is something wrong
with either the drivers, your monitor or your video card. The nVidia
drivers/hardware are known for exhibiting this problem when you use
two monitors, and some LCD/Plasma displays have problems syncing as
well. (I don't know anything about the Panasonic TH-42PWD5 itself.)

> That's my 2nd question...  why does Gl sync cause SO much CPU to be used?
No idea. But this is the only thing that can make the seam go away
with your video card. Perhaps you have some nvidia-settings setting
set that causes problems? Experiment, then post your results to
the mythtv users mailing list so others can just search the archives
rather than have to go through those trial-and-error steps.

-- Daniel