[mythtv] DVD nav keybinding

Sun Feb 19 08:38:17 UTC 2006

Hi,
   I just went to try out the new DVD navigation stuff.  I found a
problem with keybinding, and I'm not sure if I can fix it with
configuration, or whether something needs to change in Myth...

   I'll describe my current setup.  I imagine it is a reasonably
common setup, if not exactly the same as others.  The point of this
mail is more general than my setup though.

   A picture of my remote is here: http://www.daumpc.co.kr/var/
goods_images/p1387/Fusion%20HDTV%20b.bmp

   But the basic issue is that there are 5 main buttons in the middle
of the remote:

             Ch ^

Vol v    Play/Pause    Vol ^

             Ch v

I have ChanUp, ChanDn, VolUp, VolDn mapped to the four arrow keys,
and Play/Pause to select.  I then have my myth keybindings set up so
that in places where I need to move around (main menus, epg, etc.) I
get to move around.  The keybindings are overloaded however so that
during playback, VolUp and VolDn actually control the volume (ffwd
and rwnd are two separate buttons used to skip).

During DVD navigation this causes problems.  ChanUp and ChanDn worked
ok to move me up and down.  VolUp and VolDn controlled the volume,
rather than moving left and right.  The worst bit is that I'm not
even sure if VolUp and VolDn should control the volume or the cursor. :/

Oh, and I think Play/Pause should select rather than pause during DVD
nav - that one is easier, but still not 100% certain.  At the moment
it seems to do neither, but that may be because I previously tried to
skip forward during the DVD intro and that left things unstable.

The only solution I could come up with would be to map the numbers
onto cursor control during DVD navigation.  I'm not going to be
changing channels while watching a DVD. :)  At the moment they seem
to enter into a buffer like LiveTV, but then do nothing.

So, back to the more general discussion:

   Is keybinding going to be revisited in the mythical myth UI
update?  ;)
   It would be nice to be able to specify what keys do based on
context.  This is already somewhat possible.  But which binding takes
priority in a conflict is hard-wired.  Any thoughts on making this
configurable?
     The current design of having multiple contexts that overlap is
nice.  I don't want to have to specify that ChanUp and ChanDn are
arrow keys in every location where I move around.

Sigh, It looks like a non-trival problem to fix well.  And I don't
have time to worry about it right now.  So I'll quit jabbering at y'all.

Be well,

Will         :-}