[mythtv] OT: Highway exit numbering (was: MythTV - Version 1.0)

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Feb 10 03:52:13 UTC 2006

On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 08:14:08PM -0700, Robert LeBlanc wrote:
> > Releases, as the user sees them, should have incremental numbers, for
> > the same reason that Interstate exits should have sequentially
> > increasing numbers (instead of being numbered after mileage, which is
> > worse than useless on several different levels).
>
> I found that exits numbered after the mile marker to be highly useful. I
> can always tell how many miles are left until the exit. It drove me nuts
> when I went to Pensacola, FL and getting off at exit 14 was 2.5 hours
> from the border! But it sounds like you are used to it.

Unless you already know the exit number of the target exit, you can't
do that, and if you *do* know the exit number, then you probably could
have looked up the mileage anyway.

OTOH, I was on a tour bus the other night, coming home from Wicked, and
I needed to tell the tour bus driver which exit to get off at.

I knew it was the third exit, but the combination of that and the
number of the exit we'd just passed was no longer enough information to
let me tell him where to get off.

Cheers,
-- jra

	A: No.
	Q: Should I include quotations after my message body?