[mythtv] howto? gdb trace

Stuart Auchterlonie stuarta at squashedfrog.net
Sun Feb 5 20:03:13 UTC 2006

On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 12:39:16PM -0500, Steven Adeff wrote:

> ok, great. Another question... Is there a way to control gdb through
> ssh? I have a dedicated myth machine that I want to run this on,
> theres no keyboard attached, and if its possible to do the gdb through
> ssh (while still have it display on the tv as normal), it would be
> prefered, if not, i can move my keyboard from my other computer, I'd
> just rather not if possible.

The best way to do the debugging in this case is to startup
the frontend or backend as normal and attach gdb to the running
process. In this case gdb is invoked as

gdb /usr/local/bin/mythfrontend <pid>

then just 'cont' and the process will keep executing.

you may need to be root.

I've found this works very well and even avoids the need to
ignore sig 33 etc etc....

Stuart