[mythtv] Recordings in subdirectories

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Feb 5 18:14:30 UTC 2006

On 02/05/2006 12:39 PM, Chris Pinkham wrote:
> I think Kevin Kuphal has mentioned a couple times that he wants to work
> on adding the concept of "Storage Groups" to SVN once 0.19 is out.

Yeah.  Actually, his mentioning the plan is what prompted me to finally
post this patch (
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/179854#179854 ) in
case it might be useful.  IMHO, even with Storage Groups, having an
ability to use subdirectories would be nice.  However, I will admit that
the possibility of subdirectories existing on different filesystems (and
the lack of a reliable, platform-independent means of checking for this)
may be enough of a complication to warrant requiring all recordings to
be within the list of directories given to Myth.  With Storage Groups,
I'd gladly do without subdirectories.

> So
> this patch may or may not make it in as part of that.  If Kevin doesn't
> work on it, then I will, or perhaps we work on it together.  I have
> 3 directories which hold all of my videos.  I manage this by using the
> myth_archive_job.pl script I put in the SVN contrib directory.  I
> run this as a UserJob currently, but would like to stop having to
> copy files around after the recording finishes so the concept of
> Storage Groups is very near the top of my TODO list.  I even contemplated
> hacking in some code in my tree to create the link ahead of time so that
> the file would get created in its final home.

Thanks for the idea!  Once I switch to HDTV-sized files, that's
definitely a short-term hack I'll be using.  :)

> So, I think you can expect something that will accomplish this before
> 0.20, but the details have yet to be worked out.

Yeah.  I fully expect multiple recording directories to be in 0.20,
too.  I don't plan to use multi-device support for the recordings
directories on my new HDTV system, so if no one else it working on it, I
will be.  ;)

Mike