[mythtv] mythfilldatabase fails with tv_grab_de_tvtoday

Paul Webster pjwebster at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 05:03:56 UTC 2006

On 2/3/06, Oscar Carlsson <webmaster at trekotor.se> wrote:
> tor 2006-02-02 klockan 23:34 +0100 skrev Lorenz Hahn:
> > Otto Bommer wrote:
> > > Since a week the following error occurs with mythfilldatabase on my machine:
> > >
> > > grabbing: Died at /usr/bin/tv_grab_de_tvtoday line 681.
> > > ------------------ End of XMLTV output ------------------
> > > Error in 4:201: unexpected end of file
> > > Updating icons for sourceid: 1
> > >

> > > My workaround is to remove the --slow option in
> > > programs/mythfilldatabase/filldata.cpp
> > >
> > > < command.sprintf("nice %s --slow --days 1 --config-file |%s| --offset %d --output %s",

> > > However, I think this is not the proper fix.
> > > Has this occured to anybody of you.
> >
> > Yeah, me too. I also tried to track the problem down to it's source, but
> >  have not succeeded.
> >
> > Some detaills that may help our successor:
> >
> > I'm using the current xmltv debian package.
> >
> > I had to comment out lines 683 ans 684 due to some values that let the
> > script die. Now these are all ignored - we've got no use for ShowView
> > anyway.
> >
> > I also commented out line 755 to omit warnings of unknown features like
> > Dolby Surround.
> >
> > In /usr/share/perl5/XML/Writer.pm I've modified sub
> > _croakUnlessDefinedCharacters in line 767 to ignore Code point \u0000
> > that is not allowed in .xml files, but since I've got no perl skills ant
> > don't know what exactly I was doing here, I'm pretty sure that I've failed.
> >
> > When the Code point check is disabled, mythfilldatabase reports 1479:21
> > as unexpected end of file, when the check is enabled it fails at
> > 1479:939 while fetching the same day.
> >
> > Hth,
> > Lorenz.
>
> Does the script work if run outside of mythfilldatabase? If not, you
> need to mail the xmltv list.

I'm an IceTV user in Australia and while mythtv-setup successfully
launches "tv_grab_au_ice --configure"  as the user mythtv
(consequently generating the correct config files), and tv_grab_au_ice
and mythfilldatabase both work fine when run by the same user on the
command line, program guide grabbing has been failing during automagic
scheduling from the backend. For the moment, I'm investigating this
further on the assumption that it is running as the wrong user.