[mythtv] Compiling on AMD64

Colin Guthrie mythtv at colin.guthr.ie
Thu Feb 2 20:53:45 UTC 2006

Isaac Richards wrote:
> IMO, putting the native libraries of a system in anything other than /lib is
> completely wacky.

I kinda agree with you, but I think the reasoning *for* doing it is
fairly good too as it means you can co-install 32 and 64 bit libs on the
same system.

The alternative would be to install all the 32 bit libs in e.g. /lib32.
I actually like this better, but it means that a gradual transition to
64bit is much more complex and you can't just install the 32-bit
versions from your distro without specifically building the 32-bit libs
for a 64-bit filesystem layout which is a bit wacky in itself!

So I guess it kinda makes sense in that respect.

Col.