[mythtv] code for user jobs only in front end?

Paul Paul paul2004 at writeme.com
Mon Dec 25 22:07:02 UTC 2006

 I posted the message below to the mythtv-users list and mythtvtalk forum
and myth-dev lists that with myth .20 it's not running the user jobs.  I
didn't get replies and am digging into the code to see where it's broken,
but am new to myth's code.  I found the following calls which would seem
to start the user jobs:

programs/mythfrontend/playbackbox.cpp:
SLOT(doBeginUserJob1()));
programs/mythfrontend/playbackbox.cpp:
SLOT(doBeginUserJob1()));

But they're only in the front end.  I'm kind of new to myth, but this
doesn't make sense to me...   I have a master back end with my tv tuner
cards.  The front ends are scattered throughout the house and turned on
when needed.  Generally I schedule the shows to be recorded using mythweb
as the master back end is a headless unit; just a server, not running any
front end.  As expected the back end does record the shows.  It's just
that the user job to process them is never run.  Since in myth it's the
back end that always does the recording, and the front ends are purely
optional and may be on or off or never even used, it would seem that the
back end would be the place where the user jobs are run, after all that's
where the shows are being recorded.  But I can't find the code in the
back end that starts the user jobs.  Can someone clarify how user jobs
work?  Also, if user jobs are for the front end, what is the right way to
have myth run a script that does some processing on a file when it's
finished being recorded?  Is there already a mechanism for that?  Or if
not, what's the best place to put a hook into the code?  It seems like a
fairly common request that after a file is recorded there may need to be
scripts run to process it (transcode it, move it somewhere on the
network, etc.)

Thanks