[mythtv] Danish translation for mythtv

Daniel Staaf dst at bostream.nu
Thu Dec 21 00:51:59 UTC 2006

Søren Dalsgaard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The danish translation for mythtv (mythfrontend, mythbackend, mythweb etc.)
> are not in a very good state on the version I am running. How can I best
> help update this translation?

There are a few theme XML files to change but most of the strings are in
.ts-files i the i18n subdirectory of the different modules.

Example for mythfrontend:

1.  svn co http://svn.mythtv.org/svn/trunk/mythtv
3.  cd mythtv/i18n
4.  lupdate translate.pro        [to add new strings to .ts-files]
5.  linguist mythfrontend_dk.ts  [work on mythfrontend translation]
6.  lupdate -noobsolete translate.pro  [to drop obsolete strings]
7.  lrelease mythfrontend_dk.ts  [to generate mythfrontend_dk.qm]
8.  cd ..
9.  [ Either ] make install
10. [ Or ] cp i18n/mythfrontend_dk.qm /usr/local/share/mythtv/i18n/
           [If simply updating the translation]
11. Run mythfrontend an make sure translation is correct.
    If not, go back to step 5.
12. svn diff i18n/mythfrontend_dk.ts > mythfrontend.patch
13. gzip -9 mythfrontend.patch  [to prevent Trac from messing
    with the UTF-8-text and thinking it is spam]
14. Create new ticket at http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/newticket
    Type should be set to patch and since the "Assigned to/Owner"
    field is not visible you might want to try setting "Cc:" to
    "oscar". A reasonable "Short summary" might be
    "Updated Danish translation".
15. Add mythfrontend.patch.gz to your new ticket.

The add-on modules:

16. svn co http://svn.mythtv.org/svn/trunk/mythplugins
17. cd <modulename>/i18n
18. Do the equivalent of steps 4 - 13

Example for mythweb:

19. cd mythplugins/mythweb/modules/_shared/lang
20. Use some editor capable of editing UTF-8 to edit Danish.lang
21. svn diff Danish.lang > mythweb.patch
22. zip -9 mythweb.patch [to prevent Trac from messing with
    the UTF-8-text and thinking it is spam]
23. Add mythweb.patch.gz to the ticket created in step 14.

Finally:

24. Wait... [If a release is not imminent translation updates
    might not be applied for some time. Note that the texts
    tend to change a lot right up to the last moment before a
    release so it might be a waste of time to update the translation
    in the the middle of the development cycle, patches that don't
    apply are dropped and you have to update it to the latest version
    yourself].
25. When your patch has been applied and ticket closed and you want
    to update the translation again do not reopen your previous ticket,
    create a new one.

/ Daniel