[mythtv] [mythtv-users] ANN - Release of MythTV Web

Steven Ellis steven at openmedia.co.nz
Sun Dec 17 21:57:39 UTC 2006

On Mon, December 18, 2006 2:47 am, Colin Guthrie wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> Steven Ellis wrote:
>> Ok there is now an updated release at
>>     http://www.mythtv.co.nz/mythtv/?p=30
>>
>> Lots of IE fixes, better graphics, and a PDA layout.
>>
>> Let me know what you think.
>
> I've been looking for something like this for a while (primarily because
> my LIRC interface is broken :().

Pleased to hear it.

> I'd like to help you make it better but before I start hacking away, I'd
> like to check a few things with you.

This is why the code is out there.

> There appears to be a remote.php and remote-wide.php in the tarball.
> These would appear to be old versions of backend.php that are no longer
> used. Is this correct?

True. I left the old files in for this release as i'm still merging some
of the code contributions. The idea is eveyone should use backend.php now,
with all of the core code removed from the gui html files.

> I notice that most things are normal submit buttons with styleing via
> CSS to make them nice images. Great. But then there are also some real
> images (input type="image") in there too, plus a work around for IE due
> to a bug this creates... Is there any reason for this as I cannot
> immediately see why they are not just normal submit buttons too?
> Obviously you'd have to add id's to them to allow individual styling and
> selection of the specific images for the background, but it should work
> OK (I think!).

There are a lot of tweaks to fix IE bugs. If you have a submit image in IE
it doesn't submit the value. Also there are some major tweaks to get the
rollover button support working correctly in IE.

> I think what would help most however is an AJAX layer to prevent the
> page reload. This should be fairly easy to bolt on with a post process
> after the page has loaded so the whole thing will "just work" if the
> browser can handle it, but fall back to the current normal form
> submission if it can't. I'll work on this.

Might be interested if there is a reasonable fall back. Ideally we need to
support a very basic web server, and most web browsers.

One other consideration is the main skins are for users with disabilities
who can't use a normal remote control. Don't want the layout to become too
cluttered.

> I'll maybe play around a bit making some of the changes I think
> appropriate and send you the patches back.... not sure if I'll really
> have much time tho', so please don't hold your breath :p

No worries.

Steve
Steven Ellis - Technical Director
OpenMedia Limited - The Home of myPVR