[mythtv] ANN - Release of MythTV Web Virtual Remote.

Stanley Merkx mythtv at merkx.demon.nl
Tue Dec 12 19:00:26 UTC 2006

> The primary aim for this was to assist customers with disabilities or
> access issues that would prevent them from using a conventional remote
> control to use their MythTV units. We have worked very closely with a
> customer who has Cerebral Palsy to come up with a layout that was both
> simple and obvious.
>
> As part of OpenMedia's commitment to the Open Source community all of this
> development is being released back to the MythTV team under
> standard Open Source Licenses. The initial release is now available
> on-line, and you can find more details at
>      http://www.mythtv.co.nz/mythtv/?p=29
>
> I'd really like some assistance with the IE support, and some alternate
> layouts for devices like PDAs and mobile phones. I'd also be willing to
> see this become part of the standard MythWeb code base.

Hi Steve,

Looks good, but as far as PDAs/mobile phones go: my experience is that the
default browser(s), or at least pocketIE on WM5.0 based devices, is/are
way too slow to work comfortably.

For my own use I have written a small .NET app for my Qtek9100 that uses
bluetooth to open a serial port connection to a small utility called
'blueproxy'. This runs on my MythTV box and proxies all I/O to a
configurable IP-address/port. This is a very small bit of code that could
easily go into mythfrontend to provide a bluetooth serial port alongside
the telnet interface...

Another advantage of using bluetooth on the PDA instead of WLAN is that it
consumes *much* less battery power.

If anyone is interested, I could clean up the .NET project and share it?!?

Regards,
Stanley.