[mythtv] [mythtv-users] xvmc can't play 720p content at 1080i (fwd)

Daniel Walton dwalton at cisco.com
Thu Dec 7 19:29:11 UTC 2006

On Thu, 7 Dec 2006, Michael Tiller wrote:

> On 12/7/06, Daniel Walton <dwalton at cisco.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> >
> > > The cheapest solution until then is to buy a P4 2.8 Ghz or better for
> > the HDTV
> > > frontend and not use XvMC.
> >
> > That solution wouldn't have a very high wife approval factor :)
>

> Amen! :-)
>
> I've got a socket 478 P4 2.4GHz processor in my system now.  I can't
> playback HD with XvMC and definitely not without it.

Try using the "use different screensize for GUI vs playback" option so that you
drop your screen resolution down to 480p for any of the 720p content (and the
1080i content if you are having problems with it).  If I do this then I can use
XvMC to play the 720p shows at 480p.  You're giving up some resolution but it
would save you the hassle of transcoding everything.

> Now I'm trying to figure out how to tell my wife "Well, I really need a Core 2
> Duo machine which means a new processor and a new motherboard so I can watch
> Heroes without transcoding it".  I'd be in less hot water if I came home with
> lipstick on my collar. :-)

LOL :)

Daniel