[mythtv] [mythtv-users] xvmc can't play 720p content at 1080i (fwd)

Daniel Walton dwalton at cisco.com
Thu Dec 7 15:20:02 UTC 2006

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-12-06 at 09:59 -0500, Daniel Walton wrote:
> > Hey devs,
> > Any tips on how to troubleshoot this?  I've tried all the tips mentioned at
> > http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/XvMC#Prebuffering_Pause_or_stutter_with_Nvidia
> >
> > I can reproduce this consistently...if someone can point me to some instructions
> > on how to profile the cpu usage of the frontend I'll give that a shot.
>
>   http://www.cuymedia.net/doxygen-dev-docs/html/
>
> Look for the link "Profiling MythTV".

cool, thanks

> It is probably not something that will turn up in the profile if you are using
> the latest svn head or 0.20-fixes; rather it is due to the low number of XvMC
> buffers on your hardware. I started to work on a fix for this but I haven't
> had the time to get it into a usable state.

ack, if you get a chance to work on it some more and need someone to test diffs
I'd be happy to.

> The cheapest solution until then is to buy a P4 2.8 Ghz or better for the HDTV
> frontend and not use XvMC.

That solution wouldn't have a very high wife approval factor :)

> I haven't profiled XvMC in a while though, so something may turn up.. Make
> sure you profile the mythtv-vid branch since there are some improvements there
> that haven't made it into svn head yet.

looks like the mythtv-vid branch is currenlty busted (won't build):

ude -I../libmythlivemedia/UsageEnvironment/include -I/usr/include/qt3 -o
firewirechannel.o firewirechannel.cpp
firewirechannel.cpp: In member function `virtual bool
   FirewireChannel::SetChannelByNumber(int)':
firewirechannel.cpp:107: error: `avc1394_transaction_block_close' undeclared
   (first use this function)
firewirechannel.cpp:107: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only
   once for each function it appears in.)
firewirechannel.cpp: In member function `virtual bool
   FirewireChannel::OpenFirewire()':
firewirechannel.cpp:240: error: `avc1394_transaction_block_close' undeclared
   (first use this function)
firewirechannel.cpp: In member function `FirewireChannel::PowerState
   FirewireChannel::GetPowerState()':
firewirechannel.cpp:291: error: `avc1394_transaction_block_close' undeclared
   (first use this function)
make[2]: *** [firewirechannel.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/root/mythtv-vid/libs/libmythtv'
make[1]: *** [sub-libmythtv] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/root/mythtv-vid/libs'
make: *** [sub-libs] Error 2

I found a hit in the archives for this error, it was fixed in trunk so I just
need to wait for mythtv-vid to sync to trunk again.

Daniel