[mythtv] Aspect/Zoom Override Menu UI

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Tue Dec 5 14:08:04 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-12-05 at 14:38 +1000, Paul Andreassen wrote:
> On Tue, 5 Dec 2006 11:49 am, Robert Tsai wrote:
> > On Mon, Dec 04, 2006 at 10:34:59PM -0000, Martin Long wrote:
> > > I've often thought that separate aspect overrides would be useful
> > > for 4:3 transmissions and 16:9. For example, you might want to zoom
> > > 4:3 stuff, but leave 16:9 as 16:9, or maybe stretch 4:3, or zoom
> > > 16:9 stuff, leaving 4:3 alone, depending on TV size and personal
> > > preferences.
> >
> > Maybe this could be a setting for "Playback Groups"? All of my
> > channels should either be left alone, or have only one reasonable
> > alternate aspect-ratio setting, so it'd be convenient to only have to
> > "toggle" to one other choice instead of navigating through the whole
> > menu.
>
> I like this "toggle" idea.  In Australia all DVB-T transmissions are 16:9 and
> I only uses "Off" and "Fill".  "Fill" is when there is a 4:3 show with black
> bars.  Currently I've patched MythTV so "w" alternates between the two.  If
> enough people only use "Off" and one other aspect it would be easy to add an
> "Playback Group" option.

I've talked before about the need to separate aspect overrides from the
zoom modes. Outside of Australia we detect the true aspect ratio most
of the time, but zoom modes are not easily detected. If the zoom mode
were separate it would only have 3 items: no zoom, letterbox zoom and
fill. Aspect override would have 3 items: use detected aspect, use 4:3
and use 16:9...

Then toggling between options would be fairly easy.

-- Daniel