[mythtv] ffmpeg SWSCALE!

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Thu Aug 31 01:24:45 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-31 at 10:53 +1000, Richard Dale wrote:
> Here's a few screenshots of software scaling (using FFDshow on windows PCs,
> not on Linux) and the before and after shots on DVDs:
> http://www.htpcnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=132&Itemid
> =48&limitstart=4
>
> I'm experimenting with MythVideo's mplayer parameters right now.
>
> By adding:
> -sws 9 -vf pp=unsharp=l:c:7x7:5/denoise3d=12:12:12
>
> To mplayer's parameters this apparently this does software scaling, unsharp
> mark sharpening and denoise too.

Heh, I looked at the URL and I was gonna post a "pshaw, those
images just look like somebody ran an unsharp filter on the image"
type missive. But then I see that is exactly what you are doing
with this command line. "unsharp" to reduce the resolution but
enhance the edges, then "denoise3d" to blur out the noise. Yuk!

Anyway, I wouldn't object to a good unsharp filter patch, even
if I will personally never use it. The denoise3d filter has
already been ported to mythtv. I would be interested in what
kind of scaling the software scaler employs. If it's reasonable,
I might implement the same filter in the hardware scaler. So
they both look the same. This type of HW scaling would only be
available on cards that supported the OpenGL 2.0 shading
language, or the nVidia variant.

-- Daniel