[mythtv] More scheduling scheduler

Paul Andreassen paulx at andreassen.com.au
Wed Aug 30 03:40:56 UTC 2006

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 11:24 am, Colin Humphreys wrote:
> mythweb needed the mythwebsoft3.patch patch from
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/200306#200306 to run. I
> also tried out the soft3complete-partial.patch.gz from that same post
> for partial padding.
>
> Seems to work quite well.
>
> With SchedSoftStart set to 2 and SchedSoftEnd set to 15, the only thing
> in my upcoming recordings split the padding between them. (I assume
> correctly, the start becomes 1 minute, and the end 14)
>
> Futurama                  10 1016  30 18:58-19:44  1 1  A 1  -9/0
> Media Watch               21 1026  30 19:44-20:15  1 1  w 1  -1/0

Currently it splits the time between programs proportionly with any rounding
going to the end of a program.  David suggested maybe it all should all go to
the end of the program but I disagree.  I use 5 / 10 and don't believe I've
ever used the partial padding except in test cases.

> I did notice that the padding doesn't consider if the involved programs
> are on the same chanid and give them lower priority, e.g:
>
> ABC News                   2 1025  01 18:58-19:30  2 4  d 2 -98/0
> Futurama - "The Sting"    10 1016  01 18:58-19:45  1 1  A 1  -9/0
> The Simpsons              10 1016  01 19:30-20:15  2 4  A 2 -10/0
>
> I assume based on the higher priority Futurama got the padding added
> rather than ABC News, but The Simpsons is going to be recording that
> chanid at the same time anyway, so perhaps doesn't have such a high
> priority to record as the soft pad is on the start of another recording.
> I suppose would be even handier if the recorder could go into two files
> at the same time. I'm sure it is behaving as expected though. :)

This looks correct.  Sharing transponder/sources would certainly help in many
cases but because only Australia is effected it is low priority.  I was going
to work on this after getting this patch accepted.

> (Apart from the fact that ABC News doesn't need any padding, you could
> almost set your watch from it)

I currently use a patch that disables soft padding on all channels except 7, 9
and 10.  It saves a great deal of disk space.

Paul