[mythtv] Re-using tuners

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Tue Aug 29 16:06:19 UTC 2006

Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-08-28 at 00:57 +0100, Martin Long wrote:
>
>> 1) Reusing a tuner that is already recoding a program, when that
>> 2) (DBV) I'm sure this has been looked at before, but my Humax box is
>>

>> Obviously I realise people are busy, so I'm really just trying to find a
>> starting point. I've started to find my way around the source, but it's
>> quite difficult without any docs.
>>

> Search the list.. These ideas have been discussed many times.

I think you want to start looking in the DvbRecorder classes for the
specific recording (and tuning) code that you are after.  It's a bit
hard to follow the flow of the code sometimes because there is some use
of class inheritance which can be tricky to debug through.  The next
class up I believe is NuppelVideoRecorder.

I very briefly probed the code on this and wondered if the answer might
not be to add a reference to the desired channel to be tuned into the
call which requests a free tuner...  This would mean that as you say it
can give back a tuner in use if it can actually be used for the
requested channel.  Means also then that you have to re-request a free
tuner each time you change channel, but the idea seems somewhat workable

It's been a long time since I looked at this code though, so perhaps
Daniel is now one of the best people to ask any technical questions on this.

Happy hunting

Ed W