[mythtv] Patch to accept remote buttons as logical identifiers

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Thu Aug 24 15:20:37 UTC 2006

On Thursday 24 August 2006 15:45, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> I don't think direct remote button to action mappings
> are a good idea. MythTV redefines the meaning of keyboard
> keys depending on the context for a good reason. Look
> at teletext for an example, while in the "Teletext Menu"
> context we remap F7 to TOGGLEBACKGROUND, when we are
> in the the "ITV Menu" context this is mapped to MENUTEXT,
> and when we are in the "TV Playback" context F7 is
> mapped to SIGNALMON. If there were a direct mapping
> from the remote keys to action, each one of actions
> would require it's own key on the remote.

What I have in mind is the treating remote keys exactly like keyboard keys.
Thus you can bind one remote key to TOGGLEBACKGROUND, MENUTEXT and SIGNALMON
based on context in exactly the way that you can currently bind keypresses.
There will be no distinction between keypresses or remote keys, both will be
treated in the same way.

> Now it is possible to create a separate hierarchy for
> remote mappings to action based on the context, but
> this requires a lot of code duplication. It makes
> more sense to me to create a remote configuration
> plugin or to extend mythcontrols to make programming
> remotes simpler. For example, you could create an
> interface that displays a picture of the remote and
> allows you to change the mapping of each remote key
> to a keyboard key, and also allows you to change the
> mapping of that keyboard key to actions in the various
> contexts.

See what I said above. The intention is not to duplicate the hierarchy but to
use the existing one. How easy that will be remains to be seen, but from what
I currently know of the code it should be straight forward.

--
Stuart Morgan