[mythtv] Commerial detection possibility?

Ian Latter ian.latter at midnightcode.org
Mon Aug 21 03:24:01 UTC 2006

Yes, and for digital volume testing (as opposed to "by ear")
search further;

  Found in this thread from 2005 (US speakers);
    http://www.mybroadband.co.za/vb/archive/index.php/t-24163.html

  See these recordings;
    http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/8576/screenshot42tk.jpg
    http://img306.imageshack.us/img306/6139/screenshot37ke.jpg
    http://img306.imageshack.us/img306/3843/screenshot2zy.jpg

  See this comment;
    Update: Speaking to a friend in the industry in europe, he
    gives me the tale that the 'Volume Up' tactic is known as
    during the adverts you leave the room to put the kettle on
    or something.... so they want you to hear the advert even
    from another room.

  The only thing I haven't seen suggested is a centralised advert
detection system.  I.e. between every MythTV user, there must be
a smeg-load of processing power being used in advert detection,
it would be nice if this was done once, and everyone inherited the
goodness.

  However, it doesn't matter which way I look at it, I still can't see
a practical implementation for it (synchronisation, regionalisation,
security, misc other issues).

  If it was feasible it would allow a lot of grunt at the core to drive
live advert filtering for everyone else ... maybe something the
(Australian) ABC (public broadcaster) could offer the country's
television viewers ...