[mythtv] printing DVB EIT info

Lincoln Dale ltd at interlink.com.au
Wed Aug 16 23:51:56 UTC 2006

> On Wed, Aug 16, 2006 at 03:35:06PM +1000, Paul wrote:
> > Is there a utility in MythTV or DVB to display current Online EPG for
> > Digtial channels?
>
> the simplest way is to use tv_grab_dvb, which will grab
> all of the EIT information being sent by the broadcaster.
>

> > I want to see how much data our local provider is sending ? is it
> > possible to dump this out in a simple to read format?
>
> The above utility dumps the information in xmltv format.
>
> I notice that you are in Aus. I'd expect you will only
> find now & next information being broadcast.

and, alas, quite often broadcasts WRONG EIT data.  i.e. now/next quite often
doesn't actually reflect what is _actually_ showing. :(

it is of limited value - due to the multiple frequencies & disparate
networks, you need to tune into multiple frequencies to pick up multiple
channels worth of EIT data.  and even, then, 'now/next' isn't that useful
compared to getting (say) 7 day data from alternate sources.

about the only 'real' use i can find for EIT data is that one could
potentially use it to influence recording policy where a show is broadcast
in HD rather than SD.  (Australia broadcasters are probably different to the
rest of the planet here as well - they don't broadcast HD all the time
(sometimes just a HD test loop), and if they are broadcastint SD-in-HD, i'd
rather do whatever upscaling in myth's display filters than whatever they do
& waste disk space.

cheers,

lincoln.