[mythtv] FM support

Fredrik Karlsson dargosch at gmail.com
Tue Aug 15 12:02:04 UTC 2006

Hi Ben,

I would also like to have a more extensive support for FM radio in
MythTV, and streaming support would be a nice additional feature.
However, it seems that there are a couple of problems with FM radio
that has been adressed previously on this list.

1) If you have more than one user and only one tuner, you have a
potential source of conflict on your hands as the users may disagree
on which station to listen to.

2) Some use FM tuners on cards that also functions as TV capture
cards. If you card is like that, you will have to stop MythTV from
recording when you are using the card for FM radio.
AND, yo9u will have to restore the card to it's proper state once that
you have released it.

Just some points of input.

/Fredrik

On 8/15/06, Ben Klopfenstein <benklop at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, this would be my first mail to this list;
> i have been thinking about how to make mythtv do more things lately, and i
> think i came up with a solution for providing FM support in a network
> transparent manner. i havnt looked over this list to see if there are other
> things in the works, but the wiki didnt mention anything for .20 anyway.
>
> The idea would be to have an icecast server running on the backend, available
> through a PHP or cgi page. this page would accept a Mhz number as an
> argument, tune the FM tuner to the specified station, and then either
> supplies the stream, or sends a forward to the address the icecast server is
> streaming from.
>
> for example, the URL could be of the form http://backend/tune.cgi?102.7
> this would tune the FM tuner to 102.7 FM and then either forward to
> http://backend:7888 (the icecast server is presumably running on that port)
> or stream the encoded audio itself. if no mhz argument is provided, the
> scirpt does not tune, but just provides the stream, thus allowing multiple
> frontends to listen without stepping on eachother.
>
> the stream could be tuned by any shoutcast capable player; mythstream for now,
> the new mythmusic support for streams could do it too. A script that runs
> once on the backend could autodetect channels (by stereo lock perhaps?) and
> add them to the DB for whatever front end plugin is avalable, mythstream for
> now, and perhaps mythmusic when it supports it.
>
>  this way it is as easy as selecting the station from a menu to play it.
> shoutcast metadata could inform the listener of the MHZ of the station, and
> if the tuner and script supports it, the callsign from stations that
> broadcast that digitally. best of all, this is completely network enabled, so
> it could be played on any frontend, even multiple frontends at once.
>
> i may try to get this going, if school permits, it seems pretty
> straightforward to me.
>
> any thoughts?

"Give up learning, and put an end to your troubles."

My Gentoo + PVR-350 + IVTV + MythTV blog is on http://gentoomythtv.blogspot.com/