[mythtv] LIVE TV - Out of memory

Paul Bender pebender at san.rr.com
Sat Aug 12 01:22:06 UTC 2006

Goktug YILDIRIM wrote:

> Hi,
>
> This is the exact post that was sent to user list but I decided that it
> would be good idea to send here too since this might be something more
> complicated.
>
> I have a weird out of memory situation. I am working hard to solve but
> no success yet.
>
> I have minimyth 0.19-14 frontend which is a mythtv distro from
> linpvr.org.  Hardware is a diskless EPIA M10000 and has 512MB RAM.
> Mythtv version is release-0-19-fixes branch svn 10505.
> Backend is Slackware 10.2. Kernel is 2.6.17.7 and mythtv is
> release-0-19-fixes branch svn 10505. I have a Technotrend Skystar2 DVBS.
>
> When watching Live TV every channel change in frontend results
> approximately 1MB of memory growth in mythfrontend process. Of course
> after a time when there is no memory left, kernel kills the mythfrontend
> process with an out of memory message. I have done a lot to understand
> what might be my misconfiguration but could not figure it out!
> First of all I have tried different versions of minimyth which
> corresponds to different svns of 0.19-fixes. All of them are the same.
> Of course there is a thread in linpvr.org/forum but none has the problem
> except me. Since my frontend seems to be correct and tested by various
> people there must be something wrong with my backend. However I have no
> understanding how backend could cause out of memory in frontend;
> moreover backend seems to be OK.
>
> I have some output logs both in frontend and backend but I am not at
> home right now. I will try to post some of them and any other log if it
> asked.
>
> Any help or comment would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks for your support,

Could you point me to the linpvr.org/forum post? I am not able to find,
but I would like to respond there as well.

Using MiniMyth, I have been able to reproduce the problem using streams
from my HD5000 but it does not happen with streams from my PVR-250
cards. Therefore, I suspect that it is either the DVB code path or the
AC3 code path. I am building a version of MiniMyth with optimizations
for MythTV turned off and no custom CFLAGS in order to see whether or
not it makes any difference.