[mythtv] mythreplex produces a video stream that mplex can't read (mytharchive)

Aran Cox spin667 at mchsi.com
Thu Aug 3 15:36:17 UTC 2006

On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 02:07:46PM -0500, Aran Cox wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 12:39:33PM -0500, Aran Cox wrote:
> > I'm not sure if there is something really wrong with the original
> > recording, or if mythtranscode --mpeg2 isn't fixing something it could
> > be fixing, or if mythreplex has a bug, or if mplex is being too picky.
> > (However, like I said even the file command doesn't think the
> > work/1/stream.m2v file is an mpeg stream.)
>
> It looks like mythtranscode fails on the file as well.  This I think
> is a seperate issue as mythtranscode runs fine on the command line and
> from with mythtv (using a profile that is just lossless mpeg2
> transcoding.)  It only fails from mythburn, the end of the strace for
> mythtranscode looks like this:
>
> 31336 write(3, "\1\v\1\0\1\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0", 16) = -1 EPIPE
> (Broken pipe)
> 31336 --- SIGPIPE (Broken pipe) @ 0 (0) ---
> 31336 write(2, "ICE default IO error handler doi"..., 70) = 70
>
> I don't think this is related to the problems with the file I'm
> talking about, as all of the files including that one have been
> processed sucessfully with mythtranscode --mpeg2 in the past.  Does
> anyone know where the message "ICE default IO error handler doing an
> exit" comes from?  My guess is it's a qt/kde thing of some sort.

Well, I think the problem with mythburn deciding that mythtranscode
has failed (when it appears to run to completion) is the ONLY issue
I'm having.  The recording I reported as causing mythreplex to produce
an invalid video stream (according to mplex and file anyway) was
processed by a 0.19-fixes version of mythtranscode, not the current
one.  When I run mythtranscode on the broken recording from within
MythTV using a lossless only transcoding profile, then mytharchive has
no problem making a DVD out of the stream subsequently.

I wish I had more insight into why mythtranscode exits with an error
code when invoked by mythburn when it appears that mythtranscode ran
to completion. mythtranscode runs fine from within MythTV or from the
command line on the same recording.  Now I have to make sure I re-run
the lossless transcoding profile on recordings by hand before

If I figure out why mythtranscode won't run under mythburn I'll post
something to the user list in case anyone else has this problem.

Aran