[mythtv] proposed patch: support multiple recording directories

Lincoln Dale ltd at interlink.com.au
Wed Apr 26 00:28:15 UTC 2006

g'day,

I've been running this patch for about 4 weeks now with no bad affects.

What this patch does is allows you to specify multiple recording directories
(separated by commas).
mythbackend will then 'choose' one of those recording directories based on
which one has the most free disk space.

Rationale behind this patch (rather than using DM/LVM/MD et al) is that
creating one large partition means that if you lose a HDD you lose _all_
content, not just part of your media store.

The patch is larger than it could otherwise be.  The rationale is that I
didn't want to change the database format or store the pathname in the
database in any way.  This also means that you are free to move your media
around _between_ your recording directories & it will still find the media.

As far as I know, everything seems to work ok, although I should state that
since I added this patch, I added another 2 x 350G disks for recording to my
backend so am not 100% confident that expiry won't do something bad...

Looking for comments right now.  Will open a trac ticket if there is
positive feedback or not. :)
Isaac - would love feedback as to whether you think this is acceptable or
not.

cheers,

lincoln.
NB. Looking thru the patch, a minor change I made was in the default
filenames chosen for recording (libs/libmythtv/programinfo.cpp:1294). That
part isn't necessary but I found it useful when testing to 'see' what the
programmes being recorded actually were...