[mythtv] [mythtv-users] SVN mythfrontend railing hard drive (memory leak I think, see my syslog)

Greg Grotsky spikeygg at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 02:27:03 UTC 2006

So I found a bug of sorts.  It is a problem with memory management or
something in the new ui.  It's as if mythfrontend is caching all the
prescaled images everytime I escape from the main menu and hit "no I don't
want to exit".  The memory usage scales with resolution so I'm fairly
confident that it's the prescaled images.

The following pictures are of my system running at 1024x768 and also at
1920x1080.  You can see that the 1024x768 shot shows about 150MB used per
"almost exit", while the 1920x1080 shot shows about 400MB per "almost exit".
http://www.spartanframeworks.com/Spikey/MemoryUsage_1024x768.png
http://www.spartanframeworks.com/Spikey/MemoryUsage_1920x1080.png

On systems that don't have a very large screen ie. 800x600 the memory usage
is less noticable.  My system is running at 1920x1080 so it chews up a ton
of memory in a hurry.  After the first "almost exit" I've already used all
physical memory.  I had originally installed linux with no swap space (bad
idea I realize now) because when mythfrontend ran out of physical ram the
hard drives just chunked for about 5 minutes without letting me do anything
on the screen and then finally the kernel killed the process giving an OOM
error.  To get around this I created a 2GB swap file, this allowed me to
trouble shoot my problem.

Anyway, I wanted to feed this info back to the devs and put it out there for
other users who may have a similar problem.

My system is:
AMD 3200+ 939, MSI Neo2 Platinum motherboard, 1GB ram
Nvidia GeForce 5700 Ultra, using driver 8756 on custom kernel 2.6.16.2
Debian (standard issue 32bit), using SVN myth 9728 from a few days ago.

I was going to try the older version of the nvidia driver but quickly
remembered that the older versions of the driver are not compatible with my
current kernel version.  If someone really wants this datapoint, ask and I
will test it.

Thanks,
-Greg