[mythtv] More scheduling scheduler

Paul Andreassen paulx at andreassen.com.au
Mon Apr 10 18:04:22 UTC 2006

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 01:23 am, David Engel wrote:
> > > Don't change the current pre/postroll code.  Some people, including
> > > myself, like it the way it is.  If it proves unnecessary, it can be
> > > removed later.
> > It was only a attempt at simplifying things.  I believe preroll/overtime
> > is for CAM setup on DVB-S, and if it could be scheduled it would help.
> > What is the else is it used for?
> It's used for extremely soft padding.  IOW, do it if possible, but
> don't change the scheduling in any way because of it.

Couldn't a function be added to Scheduler::FillRecordList to add in this 'no
preroll/overtime scheduling' and there by take them out of everywhere else in
the code.

> > > Remove the softp->recpriority2 stuff.  That was just for proof of
> > > concept.  It can be addressed later if needed.
> > How would the scheduler then pick the best showing?  Based on length?
> There's already recstart comparison in comp_priority.  That should
> handle soft starts without any changes.  You should just need to add a
> comparison to prefer programs with soft ends.

I'm thinking a combo-box for priority order:
1. Channel/card priority (no preroll/overtime scheduling)
      Current behaviour.
2. Channel/card priority then preroll/overtime priority
      Don't move to a lower priority channel or card for preroll/overtime.
3. Preroll/overtime priority then channel/card priority
      Move to lower channel or card to keep preroll/overtime.
4. Hard Preroll/overtime (with Channel/card priority)
      Make Max Barry happy.

> I can see, though, how this might not be ideal with soft padding.  I
> always expected soft padding would need an extra pass at the end to
> add partial padding wherever possible.  For example, say 20 minutes
> padding before and after is desired and two programs stop and start 30
> minutes apart.  Obviously, they both can't each get the full 20
> miniutes.  With the current approach, one would get 20 minutes and the
> other wouldn't get any.  An extra pass could give the unused 10
> minutes to the program that didn't get any.

I thought about variable length soft padding but didn't think it worth while.
Most shows are on half hour blocks.  Most often two minutes before and six
minutes after is enough.  It gets worse after midnight until 6:00am.   I use
five minutes before and ten minutes after to catch just about everything.

Thanks again,
Paul