[mythtv] More scheduling scheduler

Paul Andreassen paulx at andreassen.com.au
Sun Apr 9 13:31:55 UTC 2006

On Sun, 9 Apr 2006 04:08 pm, David Engel wrote:
> Here are my initial comments on your patches.

Thanks for any input.

> Make your patches against current SVN.  This is a new feature and
> won't be considered for the 0.19 branch.

Thats fine.  I run 0.19 but will forward port any patches.

> Don't change the current pre/postroll code.  Some people, including
> myself, like it the way it is.  If it proves unnecessary, it can be
> removed later.

It was only a attempt at simplifying things.  I believe preroll/overtime is
for CAM setup on DVB-S, and if it could be scheduled it would help.  What is
the else is it used for?

> Stick with global, soft start and end settings only for now.  If this
> feature proves useful, we can canisder per-channel or per-rule
> settings later.

OK.  Will keep a local patch for this and see if I like it.

> Remove the softp->recpriority2 stuff.  That was just for proof of
> concept.  It can be addressed later if needed.

How would the scheduler then pick the best showing?  Based on length?

> I think your handling of the ChangeRecordingEnd check is incorrect.  I
> think the best way to handle interaction with that feature is to
> remember when soft end padding is added and take that into account
> when needed.  In addition, any soft end padding becomes hard once the
> recording starts and that needs to be accounted for if the user really
> does want to change the end time.

This would require the storing of soft padding, or doing what the comment says
and moving it PruneOverlaps.

> Limit your changes to the soft padding feature only.  If you spot
> non-related problems, address them separately.

I noticed that retrylist is used low priority to high when searching in
MoveHigherRecords.  See patch.

Thanks again,
Paul