[mythtv] Building MythTV SVN Packages (rpm)

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Wed Apr 5 07:50:02 UTC 2006

> It's just as difficult for me to compare these specfiles as it is for
> you. That's why complete rewrites mixing personal style preferences
> with functional enhancements and bugfixes can't be reviewed in a
> comparative way.

When I updated Buzz's spec, I noticed he had a number of changes I
didn't have in mine.  It took me about 30 seconds to run through the
atrpms spec file and verify where the changes came from (I have a number
of lines commented out of mine that the atrpms spec still has enabled --
I didn't need them, but presumably there's some build arch that still
does, so I re-enabled them).  Ether way, it wasn't that hard to see the
differences between them.  The only major change is in the option setup
for ./configure.

> Please do it the other way around, it makes more sense that way, and
> the pain to compare two so much changed objects remains with the doers >;)

My specs were made public because I was asked by several people to come
up with a non-atrpms mythtv package.  Now, I personally don't care who
is distributing mythtv packages (and let me say to your credit that
atrpms is by FAR the easiest way to get mythtv installed under fedora,
and I think the only source for several required build deps), but since
I like to do things the "right" way and I'm a fanatic when it comes to
documentation, I followed the fedora packaging guidelines for designing
the spec and then went fairly overboard in commenting the file so it
would be user-readable (which, frankly, yours isn't).

I can convert my/buzz's svn spec back into a "release" spec by deleting
about 5 lines and changing (I think) one, but I don't think that doing
so would convince you that it's better than what you have because what
you have fits nicely in your build system and you have every right to
think that yours is the best solution for you.  You support a far wider
distribution base than I ever intended to (keeping in mind that I wrote
the spec for me, and only released it because people asked me to).  What
the svn spec does is allow people who would otherwise be installing from
source to install a package.

-Chris