[mythtv] Building MythTV SVN Packages (rpm)

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Wed Apr 5 00:28:33 UTC 2006

>>> This specfile has also desynced quite a lot from ATrpms' partly
>>> refixing bugs fixed long ago or fixing bugs w/o submitting these fixes
>>> to ATrpms (throwing a complete specfile rewrite with more difflines
>>> than the original specfile has doesn't count ;).
>> It's been maintained separately from the atrpms packages for my own
>> personal use.  Since it works, I never bothered to update anything to
>> match yours, since it really is just a personal use kind of thing (like
>> any build-your-own svn spec should be).
>
> But the moment it is published on a prominent place like the mythtv
> wiki it stops being a personal toy anymore. This encourages users to
> actually use it and later wonder why the packages at ATrpms
> differ.

I didn't put it there.  I just fixed the one that was already there.

Plus, the one I was referring to earlier is not the svn one, but my
build-from-release one that whoever made the original svn one used as
his starting point.

> This creates issues for both the packager and the developers as it
> gets even more confusing as to what svn the user is talking about.

huh?  a revision is a revision.

> We've been trying to convince Isaac that having CVS/svn packaging is a
> good thing, if this starts being a fork war then he'll probably
> digress again.

I don't consider this "packaging"...  it's more "building svn but
letting rpm keep track of the installed files"...  no one should be
using these files without knowing how to build packages, etc.

>> Maybe I'll have to take a look at what you're doing now and see what
>> I can backport into mine.
>
> I'd had preferred if you had considered merging any valuable bits the
> other way, but it's your choice.

I've posted my changes several times over the last few months, and see
no changes ever being ported to yours (or any comments about them).  I
just assumed you didn't like anything I had done to clean up the file's
layout (making it easier to read which options do what, etc).  I'm more
than happy to produce a spec that keeps all parties happy (esp. since
I'd like to get a distro-independent one put into the main myth source
tree).

-Chris