[mythtv] Adding the ability for streaming audio/video from the backend to a remote MythWeb

James Lee james_lee31 at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 2 22:24:46 UTC 2006

Hi there,

One feature I'd find really useful in MythTV is the ability to be able to stream my music from a remote machine (i.e. over the internet) through MythWeb.  Am I right in thinking this isn't currently possible?  Is it being worked on at all (there's a comment in the MythWeb README that this is a feature that may be supported in the future, but I can't find anything concrete about it.

What I was thinking of was something along the lines of the backend encoding the music to an ogg stream and running an Icecast server to stream the video.  MythWeb would be able to control what songs were being played (i.e. get the backend to play the correct songs in the stream).  I guess playback would just be launched in the default audio player on the system (it would be neater to play it from within the browser, but presumably that isn't simple to do...).  It should also be possible to select things like bitrate of the recording, etc. from the browser).

Does this sound like a feasible plan?  Having a quick browse at the icecast docs, it looks like it wouldn't be too hard to get the icecast server bit up and running, but getting MythWeb to be able to control the backend would be harder.  Is anyone working on anything similar at the moment?  If not, then I might take a look into it (though I've only got limited time at the moment).

Thanks,
James