[mythtv] Myth & The Media MVP

Ian Caulfield imc25 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Sep 26 11:03:45 UTC 2005

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005, Liam Sharp wrote:

> Thanks for your response - what do u think is the most viable way of
> getting as much of the mythfrontend to work on the MVP ? Developing mvpmc
> further ? or could something clever be done with exporting displays from
> another box ? getting some kind of mythfrontend server that the mvpmc
> could connect to ? Or just waiting to see if a higher spec MVP comes onto
> the market ?

There's various possible approaches; mvpmc is currently useless for me, as
it doesn't support transport stream playback. If this was fixed, and it
was made to look and feel a bit more like myth, that would be quite
workable.

The way the windows MVP server works uses a modified form of VNC - the
menus etc are exported over VNC and then compressed video is streamed
alongside. This is more suitable than X as a VNC client is a lot more
lightweight than an X server.

Over on the shspvr forums, someone has upgraded the RAM on their MVP to
32MB - this might be enough to squeeze myth into.

It might be possible to further optimise the size of Myth in order to fit
- the move to mythui might or might not help; using mythui would allow the
qt library to be compiled without most of the graphical functions - a
custom mythui backend for the MVP might work out smaller.

Ian