[mythtv] mythfrontend

Brandon Beattie brandon+myth at linuxis.us
Fri Sep 16 18:03:10 UTC 2005

I'm about ready to embark on improvements to mythfrontend but I wanted
to get some feedback on what I'm looking to do.  Either opinions on
features, if it will take a major or minor change to mythfrontend or
other code, and if anyone is interested in helping.  And last of all, is
if people think mythfrontend shouldn't do any of these things.

1) Bring content together.
 a)
  Personally I think it's annoying that media is segregated as much as it
  is right now.  I'm looking to bring together in how it can be viewed,
  accessed, and searched.  An example for improvement would be a generic
  search for say, "Counting Crows", and it would look through all TV
  shows recorded, what is in the program guide and could be recorded, what
  music is stored and accessible, what video's or video clips include that
  phrase, or other content that Myth can access.  Searching for
  "blueberry cupcakes recipe" to look up shows, recipes, and web links.
  There would be a advanced but easy to use way to search for things.
 b)
  Navigation is still somewhat first or second generation for PVR's.  It
  would be nice to improve how someone can navigate.  I think being able
  to be watching a TV show and bring up a window that shows mythweather,
  the web, or even lets you listen to music while the TV is(or is not)
  muted would be nice.  The ability to browse shows to record while
  watching a show, or listening to music, and so on.
 c)
  Customizable profiles.  Having an admin user that can edit frontend
  and/or backend settings I think would be nice to reduce menu's for a
  generic user.  You could have Myth display profiles, such as John
  (that can require a password) and Kids that doesn't.  Kids would be
  limited to view content that as been hand selected or by groups of
  content (Such as how recording groups are done, but you could group
  any content such as web sites, music, video's, tv, etc.)
 d)
  Playlists.  At times I think it would be nice to be able to create
  playlists for various functions.  Someone could select a "news
  update" that would start to play a random favorite song, get the latest
  news via CSS and if the person selects "next" it could show the
  weather, next "frame" would start mythtv and start playing the 6:00am
  news that was recorded, and so on.  Other things would be "secure
  home" that would start a playlist that turns off all the lights in the
  house, tells asterisk to send all calls to voicemail, and brings up
  PIP with 2-4 feeds of the networked security cameras around the home
  (Yeah, I'm dreaming but it's worth working towards).

2) .. Maybe 1) is enough for now... ;-)