[mythtv] Current DVB problems rundown

Sat Sep 10 14:43:33 UTC 2005

Hi,
   It looks like the DVB stuff is starting to stabilise again, so I
thought I'd jump in and help test.  I'm in Sydney, Australia using
DVB-T with multiple Fusion HDTV Lite cards (and a single Twinhan
card).  Mythtv rev 7224.  Sarge with kernel.org kernel 2.6.12 and DVB
patches as at 2005-07-12 (this includes the infamous new frequency
race condition fix).

I deleted my channels table and rescanned.  This caused two problems:

   i) All my channels got new numbers, as they do every time I re-
scan.  This is somewhat frustrating as I then have to go through and
edit the recordings table to match.  I vaguely remember something
going in recently about this, so it may no longer be an issue.

   ii) There are three different DVB-T transmitters in Sydney.  A
list is here: http://www.dba.org.au/index.asp?sectionID=22 (Postcode
2034).  They transmit the same channels.  If I do a full scan, then
a) the channels table contains multiple copies of the same channel,
and b) some of the frequencies are wrong.

   To handle this I wiped the channels table again, set up the
transports manually (just one transmitter, so no duplicate channels),
and then did a full scan of existing transports.  This gave me a good
set of channels.

   (Data for manual transport setup was here: http://linuxtv.org/cgi-
bin/viewcvs.cgi/dvb-apps/util/scan/dvb-t/au-sydney_north_shore?
view=markup .  Interestingly, this data was different to what myth
had previously discovered when I just entered the frequencies for the
transports and left the other settings on auto.  The system seems to
be working better now - don't know if it is an update to myth or my
more complete data entry.)

   iii) None of my channels transmit guide information, so they all
started invisible.  This is actually an improvement for me, as 3/4
channels in Aus are basically duplicates.  I just made the ones I
wanted visible.  Normally I have to turn off 3/4 of the channels
rather than turning on just 1/4 :).

   iv) I can record fine.  However, I get no liveTV - the frontend
shows a blank screen with no signal lock, and the backend freezes.
Others want to use the box now, I'll try and post logs later.  This
sounds the same as Adam Egger's problem.

Be well,

Will        :-}