[mythtv] Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r7209 by danielk

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Fri Sep 9 15:35:21 UTC 2005

On Thu, 2005-09-08 at 13:09 -0600, Brandon Beattie wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 06:04:39PM +0100, Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
> > The 5000ms was rather arbitrary anyway. :-)
> > I was thinking in terms of how long it might take to move
> > a satellite dish.
>
> Can we add some settings to each separate tuner card entry and allow
> users to adjust this and various settings that are being guessed/hard
> coded?
Yes it is probably best to make these settings a per card thing.
I'm just not sure exactly what things should be settable yet.

> Timeouts for tuning
This should probably be there: one for signal, another for data.

> What to do if tuning fails, options such as "give up and fall back" vs "wait
> forever until signal is received". Something like this could be helpful
> for people who want to record a show, but the signal is border line.
> The tuner can record the parts it does get and fill the rest with "no
> signal" screens or cut the missing parts out.
The problem is that while tuning the recorder is completely locked
out (except in LiveTV mode, which jumps through some hoops). So if
we block until the program is over then you can't cancel the
recording if there is no signal. This could be fixed, but it
probably wouldn't be trivial. It would probably be easier to just
set the threshold lower for a signal lock and then MythTV will
record whatever it can. It still wouldn't insert 'no signal'
segments, but this part wouldn't be too hard to do.

-- Daniel