[mythtv] Inserting into the database and scheduling a job from a script

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Mon Sep 5 02:22:32 UTC 2005

On Sun, 2005-09-04 at 14:58 -0700, Ian Forde wrote:
> Hi all -

And just for good measure let's say that since I wrote this earlier
message, I've made some progress... details inline...

> Let's say, for example, that I had the wild and crazy idea to modify
> mythtivo to... instead of playing a recording with its custom version of
> mplayer... call a script instead that will do the following:

Haven't modified mythtivo yet - I'm making a script first...

> 1. Extract the show from my Tivo

Done

> 2. Convert to mpeg2

Done

> 3. Put the file into my recording directory

Done, with the date/time of the recording from the Tivo, although there
are some problems (such as the fact that Tivo doesn't give the year, nor
the length of the recording)

> 4. Call a modified myth.rebuilddatabase.pl script to insert the
> appropriate records ito the db (which I haven't done yet - my perl is
> AWFUL!)

This is next to work on getting automated...

> 5. Call mythcommflag to add a seek table to the recording

Got this scripted....

> Well, I figure that should get me most of the way there.  Unfortunately,
> I don't get to cut commercials very easily.  Sooo... I figured I'd do
> something really ugly...
>
> 6. Insert a job into the scheduler to transcode the recording

Still need to automate this.

> At that point, I *should*, theoretically, be able to edit the recording
> to pull commercials and transcode it again...

I've tested the manual steps of this and it works.  I pulled 2 episodes
of Farscape from my Tivo today and now they're quite happy inside my
Myth Watch Recordings screen - I was even able to cut commercials and
send it off to the transcoder.

> So I'm stuck at steps 4 (due to my ugly perl) and step 6, which I have
> no idea how to do... should be a simple question, but it's eluding me...

So I'm still stuck at steps 4 and 6, but it's no longer a theoretical
exercise as far as scripts go... I've currently got a workable method to
get shows from my Series 1 Tivo into my MythTV Watch Recordings
screen...

Incidentally, why would I go through all of this pain?  Because MythTV's
commercial cutting is easier, than anything else, and it just plain
works.  Plus, I need to get some recordings off of the Tivo, and I don't
like commercials in my saved recordings...

Still looking for suggestions!

	-I