[mythtv] Questions for the DVB guys

Chris Birkinshaw chris at postbox.org.uk
Thu Sep 1 16:22:34 UTC 2005

On 23 Aug 2005, at 14:59, John Pullan wrote:

> On 20/08/05, chris at postbox.org.uk <chris at postbox.org.uk> wrote:
>>

>> I have a few questions for the DVB developers:
>>
>> 1. Have you considered triggerring of recording start/stop times by
>> the
>> updating of EITpf tables? The BBC are using reactive (i.e. triggered
>> from
>> the playout automation server) EITpf triggering on Mux1 and MuxB which
>> means that EITpf always rolls over on the last trail before the next
>> program no matter how late or early it is. This is the way the whole
>> network will be going in the not too distant future, and there is
>> mounting
>> pressure on PVR manufacturers to support this mode of operation.
>>
> Chris,
>      Could you expand on this a bit more ? Do you mean a particular
> table or a value within a table ?

Sorry for the delay in replying, I have been out of the country for a
while. What I meant is that the mythtv recorder should wait until the
EIT present subtable for that particular service changes version number
before starting recording the program, i.e. it should track changes in
the EIT present event and trigger recording from this. In most cases
this will happen at the scheduled start time of the program in
question, irrespective of whether that program is late or early
starting, however for EITpf Actual on Muxes 1 and B (UK) this EITpf
change is intelligently triggered at source, ensuring that the EITpf is
correct even if a program is late starting (e.g. sports match before it
has overrun by 10 mins). Soon other networks will catch on to this
system too, though even with only 2 muxes out of 6 having this feature
it's support by mythtv would be very useful as most of the stuff I
record is from the BBC anyway.

Does this make more sense now?

Regards,

Chris