[mythtv] Re: mythtv-dev Digest, Vol 33, Issue 48

Greg Turnquist gregturn at mindspring.com
Fri Oct 28 18:37:30 EDT 2005

> Actually, that was on purpose.

Well then there is a touch of human factors to consider. If that
checkbox is supposed to have nothing to do with the drop down list, it
needs to be a little more separated from it. Right now, it looks like a
simple ascending/descending flag to me.

> Personally, I want the episode for a specific show sorted in ascending
> order (by original air date), but I want the episodes listed under
> "All Programs" to have the newest episodes first.

At different times I want different attributes. That is why I can easily
change it whenever I want on the Setup screens. I certainly don't want
to propose adding more screen configuration options and widgets.

On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 21:46 +0000, mythtv-dev-request at mythtv.org wrote:
> I think the lists should be sorted by the originalairdate if available
> or the recording date if not, all in the same direction as the "Newest
> recordings first" flag suggests. I think this is in the best interest
> of anyone else in the public who wants to try this feature. Do you
> agree? Can you work around this in your private production version
> if you feel strongly that you need the mis-matched order?
>
> --  bjm

So far, I have only implemented this for the segment of code that
applies the "Original Airdate filtering." I noticed this only kicked in
when I moved off of "All recording" and went to a particular title.
After looking through the code, it seemed to me a little confusing to
read what the sort intentions were for these other areas. The original
air date sort algorithm is pretty straight forward: it uses original air
date for the shows that have it, and falls back to recorded date for the
ones that don't.

To me, the KISS approach would be to have "All Programs" and any
category you pick, all observe the same sorting criteria the user has
selected on PlaybackBox. No complicated rules or widgets or "options".
Your option is the sort criteria of the existing drop down, and a simple
ascending/descending flag "Newest first".

If others (and of course Isaac) agree, I may look at some of the other
sorting to make it all consistently follow this paradigm.
--
Greg Turnquist <gregturn at mindspring.com>