[mythtv] NTP config

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Oct 20 15:49:28 UTC 2005

Rudy Zijlstra wrote:

> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>
>> Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
>>
>>> In the Netherlands, Belgium, France, Germany - those i am certain of
>>> - programs can start more than 20 minutes later than announced. Not
>>> on all channels, some are worse than others, yet most channels are
>>> "late" by 23:00 or later. Which is why i am using a hard "end-late"
>>> setting on all recordings, and enough tuners so that recordings do
>>> not need to be back-to-back on the same tuner.
>>
>> Wait a minute...  You're using start early/end late the way they were
>> designed to be used?  From reading the lists, it seems like you
>> should be using global pre-/post-roll, instead, and complaining on
>> the list when it doesn't get the end of your show.  ;)
>>
>> (Note to anyone reading this:  I'm being sarcastic here.  Please, do
>> /not/ abuse pre-/post-roll and complain to the lists instead of
>> designing/configuring your system appropriately.  If you use the
>> system like Rudy does, it works.)
>
> I would dearly love to have a global start early / end-late setting,
> with the scheduler showing the those modified times, yes. Now i have
> to set them time and again on all recordings...

Yeah.  There was some talk about recording rule defaults on the lists (
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/77459#77459 ), but
other than initial excitement, it didn't seem to generate enough
interest for someone to make the patch.  Sounds like that would be very
useful for you.

> P.S. on one program, which is currently scheduled after a seemingly
> very popular (i don't care about it myself) live program, i have an
> end-late of 60 minutes.....

Wow.  Recording that much junk would make storage management a
challenge--you'd have to have a lot of extra disk space or edit
everything after recording.  I'd say we in the US have it pretty easy in
comparison.

Mike